For the very first time in Bengaluru, a football championship match will witness not only the best football teams from schools in the city but there will be more – A school from Dubai, one from Sikkim, and Kerala will be battling for the Equality Cup – a Cup that symbolizes the breaking down of social barriers.
After raising the bar for school football sport in the city the last few years, the Parikrma Champions League in association with the All India Football Federation and Karnataka State Football Association, a one-of-a-kind U-16 boys football tournament, is back with the 7th championship tournament, which promises to be bigger and better.
What to expect at PCL 2017?
- A total of 16 schools will be participating including 3 out-of-state and one school from Dubai.
- The Coachers’ Pledge – where all participating coaches pledge fair play.
- A special exhibition mixed match (both girls and boys) – a first in PCL.
- State-of-the-art technology (bone-density test) used to determine students’ ages correctly.
- Large LED screens with custom-made animations, live video feed and a unique score tracking system. Young players will feel like real professionals as they walk onto the field through a tunnel, being cheered on by crowds.
- Outstanding individual performances and skill will be awarded with exciting prizes.
- Exhibition match on the morning of the finals. Spotters will identify the most skilled players from 16 teams to form a Parikrma All-Star team that will take on CEOs of Bengaluru’s leading corporate companies in a 20-minute exhibition match.
- In an effort to raise the level of the game each year, the matches this year will have 20-minute halves and the Semi-Finals and Finals will have 30-minute halves. The Parikrma Champions League 2017 will be a ranking tournament for the top 8 teams who will move into the Quarter Finals after the league stage.
The Parikrma Champions League has been made possible thanks to the support of the Karnataka State Football Association. Identiti will provide all the clothing for the officials. Manipal Hospital will provide medical support for the tournament, ensuring that a doctor and nurse are present at the stadium on all five days in case of any injuries or medical emergency.
The tournament will be inaugurated at 10am on November 23 at the Bangalore Football Stadium.